Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Soul is a DJ


I can’t believe they played that song on the radio today. It had been so many years since I had heard it… or maybe not. I think I probably heard it almost everyday, some part of my soul had gotten used to humming it. Then I realized that there were so many songs that my soul hummed to itself almost like a background score to my thoughts. Every song had a little memory attached to it. The images seemed distant but the song as fresh as sipping a hot cup of tea on a winter morning!

There was this song that our Rickshaw puller used to play on his little black radio making a remix version of it with the water bottles and tiffin boxes clanking away all the way to a school called Tender Hearts in Lucknow.I can’t believe I still remember the name Chitrahaar – The MTV of those days ;) and even the Aakashvaani that happened before the Mahabharata started( Main Samay hoon), then the Pop era with the Philips Top Ten, the boy bands, the songs played at socials in school -all of it now seemed like a medley in my head!!!Then there was these MJ songs my brother played several times on his “oh so new disc man”! The Tamil songs our Van Driver Raju Uncle played on our way to school in Muscat, the songs of the several Antaksharis played in the garden with my dad and songs that we practiced hours together on the school stairs with “my gang of friends” to just see who remembered the lyrics more!Then there were Christmas Carols we learnt at choir and my dad played them for a month before Christmas every year at home, in the car and any other place where we could hear them. The sounds of the aarti during Diwali sung by different members of the family and also songs sung during the weddings of cousins getting married.There were songs that I had begun associating with different people like a song that one of the teachers sang in school ( it was the same song every year- lest we forget), songs sung by people in college as performances in college fests, the song that spoiled the walkman for repeat play during the first break up and of course the song that we thought would play in the background when we met the person of our dreams!

There were so many songs in the past and there will be so many more in the future, but for the fear that the DJ in my head takes over, I paused to hear the song playing outside the window- The song of a little bird on a tree!

Sanchita Johri

1 comment:

  1. Very well said girl! I absolutely agree with the part where you say there are songs associated with memories. Yeah, and you made me remember those Tamil songs of Raju Uncle :D

    ReplyDelete